Random Photo

Random Photo
Random Photo I Put Up Here.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

American Idol: The Top One-One

So the Top 11 make it to Tuesday night and they have to work hard. A new change in American Idol, after the competition, is that only the Top 10 go on tour, not the Top 24 of previous years.

The theme this week was a perennial favorite, Billboard Hot 100 #1's. With a plethora of songs that at some point or another reigned supreme to our ears, I hoped they made good song choices.

Let's grade. . .

Lee Dewyze: B-, To me the vocals were good but his formatting of the song was just off. For me that is. I like the song, it was him, but something didn't click. I can see him back next week, though.

Paige Miles: EF, That is an E or an F or put together EF. She did Phil Collins' "Against All Odds" in the style of Mariah Carey. Where did she go with it and why? She could be gone tomorrow.

Tim Urban: B-, His vocals were good but his performance of the song was not. He did Queen's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love", which I can't see anybody doing right other than Queen. So not a good choice of song.

Aaron Kelly: B+, He was very good, doing some Aerosmith. I like his youth and what it brings to the stage.

Crystal Bowersox: A, The first A goes to Crystal, who, with some help from Janis Joplin, continued to prove to us who she was. The judges want a little more and she promised them a surprised next week. I can't wait.

Micheal Lynche: A-, Big Mike went with some classic Percy Sledge. I really enjoyed "When A Man Loves A Woman". Apparently, the judges, especially Kara and Simon, did not seeing it as loungy which I did not. I did agree that the riffs could use some work and that is the only reason he got a minus.

Andrew Garcia: C, He did some Motown with Marvin Gaye's "I Heard It Through the Grapevine". To me, the absolute wrong choice of song. It wasn't him and it wasn't as good as Hollywood week.

Katie Stevens: C, A pitchy affair for Katie, but one good thing was that she proved pop may be her forte. "Big Girls Don't Cry" fitted her well. Now only if she could sing it, we'd have a rolling ball.

Casey James: B+, Taking a track off of the Back to the Future soundtrack Casey did pretty well. I liked it but Simon wanted some more variety. He really knows how to work a guitar and that will get on the good side of Randy.

Didi Bemani: C+, To me it was an odd song choice for her and it didn't stand out for me. Nice try and she might have a spot next week because she just has that quality.

Siobhan Magnus: B, Doing Stevie Wonder's "Superstition", she, to me, gave the best performance in terms of stage presence. Her voice could be a little better. And her screaming is okay.
Overall Grade: B-
___________________________________________
In all it was a good show. Overall though, I was looking for better songs from some of them. Some fit them well, while others should have gone in another direction. We get the elimination tonight and I lean towards Paige Miles. She has been on a slippery slope for a while and she may have reached the end tonight. J out.

No comments:

Post a Comment